Invisalign for Teens; How Effective Is It?
If you are already envisaging that your child may need braces soon, you might want to have Invisalign on your list. It is presently one of the most effective dental treatment options on the market today. Invisalign offers clear plastic aligners that fit individual life while it corrects their smile. However, the question is, ‘Invisalign for teens; does it work?’
Well, Invisalign is known to be popular for its effectiveness. It offers a wide range of benefits over other treatment options. But before you decide if Invisalign in Liverpool is right for your child, you might want to learn more about it. Let’s look at Invisalign for teens, examining its benefits, downsides, potential costs, and what dental issues it can fix.
How Does Invisalign Work for Teens
Invisalign is a system of clear, removable aligners that are used to straighten teeth. The aligners are custom-made for each individual patient using 3D computer imaging technology and are designed to gradually move the teeth into the desired position.
Here’s how Invisalign works for teens:
- The first step is to visit an orthodontist or a dentist who is trained in Invisalign treatment. The orthodontist will perform an initial evaluation to determine if Invisalign is suitable for the child.
- If Invisalign is deemed appropriate, the orthodontist will take impressions of the child’s teeth and send them to a laboratory where the aligners will be manufactured.
- Your child will receive a series of aligners, which they will need to wear for 20-22 hours per day. Each aligner should be worn for about two weeks before being replaced with the next one in the series.
- As the child progresses through the series of aligners, their teeth will gradually move into the desired position. The orthodontist will monitor the child’s progress at regular intervals to ensure that the treatment is proceeding as planned.
- The treatment process typically takes about 9-15 months, but this can vary depending on the complexity of the case.
Benefits of Invisalign for Teens
Invisalign is a convenient and discreet option for teenagers who are self-conscious about wearing traditional metal braces. But that’s not the only benefit Invisalign has for teens. Below are some more:
Invisalign aligners are made of clear plastic, which makes them virtually invisible when worn. This can be especially appealing to teens who are concerned about the appearance of metal braces.
Invisalign aligners are made of smooth plastic, which means they are generally more comfortable to wear than metal braces. They also don’t have any sharp edges or wires that can irritate the gums or cheeks.
Invisalign aligners are removable, which means that teens can eat, brush, and floss as they normally would. They don’t have to worry about food getting stuck in their braces or about special dietary restrictions.
Invisalign has been shown to be effective at straightening teeth and improving bites in many cases. The treatment process typically takes about 9-15 months, which is similar to traditional metal braces.
#5: No food restrictions
With Invisalign, the child can still enjoy their favorite foods. The aligners can be easily removed when it’s time to eat or drink. That means your child can eat whatever they want throughout the treatment without any restrictions.
#6: Fewer emergencies
You don’t have to worry about cracked brackets or broken wires. That’s one interesting advantage of Invisalign over traditional braces. You won’t have to call your child’s orthodontist for an emergency appointment to fix something that’s broken.
Invisalign for Teens: What Conditions Does Invisalign Treat for Teens
Invisalign can be used to treat a variety of orthodontic conditions in teens, including:
- Crowding: Crowding occurs when there is not enough space in the mouth for all of the teeth to fit properly. Invisalign can be used to move the teeth into a more suitable position, creating more space in the mouth.
- Overbite: An overbite occurs when the upper teeth overlap the lower teeth too much. Invisalign can be used to move the upper teeth back and the lower teeth forward, correcting the overbite.
- Underbite: An underbite occurs when the lower teeth overlap the upper teeth too much. Invisalign can be used to correct underbites in teens.
- Crossbite: A crossbite occurs when the upper and lower teeth do not align properly when biting down. Invisalign can also help fix these in both children and teens.
- Gapped teeth: Gapped teeth occur when there are spaces between the teeth. This can occur both in children and adults. However, Invisalign can be used to close these gaps by moving the teeth closer together.
It’s important to note that Invisalign may not be suitable for all cases, and the orthodontist will need to determine if it’s the best treatment option for the individual patient.
Can Children Younger Than Teens Have Invisalign Braces?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, early intervention is better when addressing some orthodontic issues in kids – sometime between the ages of 9 and 14. So, it is not a bad idea for children younger than teens to have Invisalign braces.
In fact, the brand has Invisalign First, which was designed specifically for younger children. The product can help correct several dental issues in the early stages. The product is removable, making it convenient and easy to use even for kids – it doesn’t get in the way of their oral hygiene.
What’s the Difference Between Invisalign Teen and Invisalign for Adults?
Invisalign Teen is a version of the Invisalign clear aligner system that is specifically designed for adolescents. It is similar to Invisalign for adults in that it uses a series of clear, removable aligners to straighten teeth. However, Invisalign Teen has a few features that are specifically tailored to the needs of teenage patients.
One key difference between them is that Invisalign Teen aligners have compliance indicators, which are small blue dots that fade over time as the aligners are worn. This helps parents and orthodontists track whether the teenager is wearing the aligners as prescribed. Invisalign Teen also comes with up to six replacement aligners in case any are lost or damaged.
Another difference is that Invisalign Teen aligners are designed to accommodate the growth and changes that can occur during adolescence. For example, the aligners may have built-in “power ridges” to help move certain teeth or “eruption tabs” to allow room for erupted teeth that have not yet come into proper alignment.
Invisalign vs Traditional Braces for Teenagers
Both Invisalign and traditional braces are effective options for straightening teeth and improving the alignment of the bite in teenagers. The best choice for an individual teenager will depend on their specific needs and preferences.
Here are some factors to consider when deciding between Invisalign in Liverpool and traditional braces for a teenager:
One of the main advantages of Invisalign is that the aligners are clear and nearly invisible, so they are less noticeable than traditional metal braces. This can be particularly appealing to teenagers who are self-conscious about their appearance.
Invisalign aligners are made of smooth, BPA-free plastic and are custom-fit to the teenager’s teeth. They are generally more comfortable to wear than traditional braces, which can cause irritation and discomfort in some patients.
Invisalign aligners are removable, so teenagers can take them out to eat, brush and floss their teeth, and participate in sports or other activities. With traditional braces, it is more difficult to clean the teeth, and the brackets and wires can be prone to breaking or coming loose.
Both Invisalign and traditional braces are effective at straightening teeth and improving the alignment of the bite. Invisalign may be more suitable for certain types of orthodontic issues, while traditional braces may be better for more severe cases.
Invisalign treatment is generally more expensive than traditional braces. However, many orthodontic insurance plans cover both options, so it is worth checking with the teenager’s insurance provider to see what is covered.
Invisalign for Teens: How Much Will Invisalign Cost for Teens?
In most markets, the cost of getting Invisalign for teens is the same as traditional braces. Invisalign for teens in Liverpool will cost anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000. But the cost can vary depending on various factors, such as the complexity of the issue looking to be fixed, where you live, and treatment duration.
Final Note On Invisalign for Teens
Invisalign is not only effective for adults; the clear braces can also help correct a wide range of orthodontic issues in teens and kids. However, before you choose Invisalign for teens, it is recommended you speak with your dentist or orthodontist.
Would you like to know if Invisalign is the right treatment for your child? You can schedule a Free Consultation with our friendly team or call us on 01512581968. We will be happy to help!